11 Monthiversary

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:36 am

Here's that plastic u-joint.

Here's the coupler inside with the pin. Pin was removed, rod 'reclocked' and tack welded for now.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:10 pm

GRMPer wrote:I know, I know...I'm not sick of the stock one yet...yet...

Ha, no I'm just teasing anyway. It might be a little out of place as your car really has that great classic look, we'd have to come up with a slightly more retro styled one for you. Honestly I don't think I will make anymore of them unless someone really wants one badly, they are lot work!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:22 pm

Actually, the early 5spds have the medium ball (size between the later 5spd and the 4spd). I know all about the medium balls...

I've never noticed a pin at that rubber joint before. Apparently you used to be able to get the shafts without the rubber joint, I think from some custom supplier in the '80s. Supposedly they improved shift feel.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:32 pm

Geoff wrote: Apparently you used to be able to get the shafts without the rubber joint, I think from some custom supplier in the '80s. Supposedly they improved shift feel.

You still can, $6.99 at home depot for 3/4" piece of tubing. Cut, drill some holes or weld and voila, crisp shifting :rally:

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Jordan wrote:As for 1st gear, depending on the serial number (I know you posted it somewhere), 1st gear could be significantly shorter. Its short enough as it is and usually you only need it from a standing stop. Could be worn synchos also, but generally 1st gear is for < 8mph, IMO.

Well I just tried it moments ago with my 91 900-T, and I can select 1st quite easily when on the go at anything less than 20 MPH. Also 1st goes up to 32 MPH @ 5500 RPM's, so it's a touch better than 8 MPH.
Less brake more gas!

The Red Baron

Postby The Red Baron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Yeah, it's not a problem as long as you rev-match. First gear gets a bad rap on SAABs, like it's an automatic trans explosion if you mat it. I've never had any problems, as long as you avoid wheel-hop/burnouts.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:55 pm

The Red Baron wrote:Yeah, it's not a problem as long as you rev-match.
This was with no rev-matching, just put the clutch in, selected 1st, and WaroooooMMMM into decell. Now granted, this trans is fresh, and is a 91-93 unit. the older syncros probably won't perform that well, especially with some mileage on em.
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Getting it into first while moving does tend to be difficult on the earlier boxes, especially when worn. The later ones are better at it.

Luke, nice!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Geoff wrote:Getting it into first while moving does tend to be difficult on the earlier boxes, especially when worn. The later ones are better at it.

Luke, nice!

:rally: haha I was hoping i'd be able to use that in this thread, cracks me up everytime

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:17 pm

back to the motor mount question....these Vorshlag mounts make the entire car buzz like mommy's little helper. Luke, you just use off the shelf E30 6-cylinder mounts, right? No problems with breakage?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:10 pm

I use std BMW mounts on the sides. The only mount Ive had issues with is the front mount.

BTW,

Heres a little pictoral history of the various couplers saab used over the years:

The oldest is on the right, the nice metal u-joint, next is the rag joint style one from the late 99's, then the early 900's with the long coupler, the mid year 900's with the short coupler and finally the 91+ with the t-bone one.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:09 am

I've also seen a lot of 99s with one that looks like the coupler second from left, but with two pins (instead of a pin and a slip joint).

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:37 pm

Jason is a tease..now he's available...sorry!

speedo drive gear is stripped (the one that slips into the transmission)..anyone have one that will work a 99 speedo at approximately the right speed?

Per

Crazyswede wrote:
GRMPer wrote:Jason Grahn isn't available for the co-drive at Rally TN, any SaabRally.com peeps want in?

hmmmm. bike/car/bike/car....I'll think on it. I wasn't planning on running Tennessee due to the need of a leather suit and not having much luck of finding one.....working on some other possibilities. I'll let you know asap.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:47 am

Ok, I figured out some of the rattle/buzz issue from this new engine...The subframe welding I did is a little 'high' in the saddle and it's rubbing the lowest point of the transmission. I'll probably have to space the drivetrain up a bit to take care of this---no more header rubbing though as I clearanced the shit out of the header-hole.

Per

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:20 am

Let me guess, drivers side on the 45 deg angle up towards the spring tower? Ask me how I know :D Time for a some washers under the engine mount... Maybe it wasnt the urine-thane mount causing all the vibration after all?

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”