gearbox information

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
fulviacorsa
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

gearbox information

Postby fulviacorsa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:35 am

Any information for a G45701 gearbox and what can I do for make it sorter for rally use till the purchase of a real close ratio gearbox (hopfully next year )
voglio di sovrasterzo
http://www.carestoration.gr

Lancia Fulvia Gr.4
Alfa GTAm replica
Saab 99 Turbo

Luke
Site Admin

Re: gearbox information

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:11 pm

The best bet would be to use a 31:30 front chain setup (used in most 4 speeds) This will give you a decent ratio setup, with this setup 1st will not be used unless you are pulling tractors uphill.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:14 pm

I should mention that at some point we all need to gang together and put of money where our mouths are and have a custom gearset manufactured again. Globally there is definatly enough interest now to pull it off.

nkro

Postby nkro » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:23 am

That sounds great.

We here In Sweden. (FIA rules). Would like to have the homologated gearset remanufactured.
You could probebly make them whit better dogs and wider.

But we have to stick whit the gearing.

Niklas

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:46 am

Niklas,

is this the "homologated" gearset?

The ratios are very nice on that one... I think everyone could agree on those...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:13 pm

The speedparts gearset was a pretty good deal as I recall. The gear shaper I talked to was certain we could make up a gearset pretty easily if we went with straight cut gears. The helical gears were much more expensive. As I recall the tooling for the one gear was about $10,000 so maybe $15000 to make the first set. After that the tooling is paid for and its just machine time.
I am the 73%

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Rallyho » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:20 pm

so refresh my memory...the S&R gears (like the box pictured above) were helical, dog engaged gears...right?

$15,000.00 to make the first "copy" of that gearset?

I'm not so good at the translating...what is the cost in US $ for Speedparts gearset?
Rallyho

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:45 pm

yes they were helical...which actually are quieter and have more tooth surface area of contact then the straight cut gears do. The straight cut are like what you would find in an old military truck or a motorcycle.

here is the email I got from one local gear maker back when we were looking into it:

here is the gear picture I sent the guy:

Seth,

The item pictured is a helical, cluster gear shaft. The two inner gears must be cut by gear shaping. Each has a unique "lead". Lead is a function of, number of teeth, and helix angle. To generate a specific lead, require both, matching guide and cutter. Guides are about $7500, and cutters are about $1200.
Alternatively, we can redesign and manufacture as spur. Although, does require all mating gears be replaced with spur also.
Still interested?
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:46 pm

It occurs to me that if we can find a capable machine shop with a 5 axis mill it may be possible to make up the helical gear sets for less.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Yeah I think the best bet (really the only option) for a small production run would be a straight spur gear. The original saab rally gearsets were helical, and although helical gears are a tad bit stronger, the spur gears would most likely be easier on our pinion bearings and getting rid of the syncros and having some big dogs we'd have a plenty of space for a nice wide gear. Plus that straight cut whine, got to love it! :luke:

nkro

Postby nkro » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:24 pm

Ok.

Some info. The picture Luke have is the old gearset. That have smal dogs.
Like a orginal whit no syncros.

Saab made a new one whit bigger and less dogs.
Then they made wider gears. And I heard about a gearset whit wider cluster bearings.

We have to unofficial gearset makers. The speedparts gearset. That speedparts don´t sell anymore.

They work and are easy to shift gears. Not helical wrong gearing. Maybe he can make new gearset If he can have a order of 10 gearsets. Talked to him about 2 years ago.

The other gearset. I don´t now so much about. The maker of the gearset have a customer that have used In rallycross whit no problem. But another Seller/customer had problems.

I can talk to them and se if they can make new gearsets and cost. But I dont think FIA like them.

Niklas

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:40 pm

I was in touch with Lars at FLD (http://www.firmalarsdavidsson.se/ ) a few years back, he was working on a gearset at that time but I never heard anything after, but he estimated the price at 20000 SEK at that time which seemed very fair. Maybe worth a call to see whatever happened with the project...

nkro wrote:Ok.

Some info. The picture Luke have is the old gearset. That have smal dogs.
Like a orginal whit no syncros.

Saab made a new one whit bigger and less dogs.
Then they made wider gears. And I heard about a gearset whit wider cluster bearings.

We have to unofficial gearset makers. The speedparts gearset. That speedparts don´t sell anymore.

They work and are easy to shift gears. Not helical wrong gearing. Maybe he can make new gearset If he can have a order of 10 gearsets. Talked to him about 2 years ago.

The other gearset. I don´t now so much about. The maker of the gearset have a customer that have used In rallycross whit no problem. But another Seller/customer had problems.

I can talk to them and se if they can make new gearsets and cost. But I dont think FIA like them.

Niklas

nkro

Postby nkro » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Thats the gearset maker number 2.

He have made the gearset, I don´t know so much about the project.
But I will know more tomorrow.

Niklas

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Cool, is this what I think it is?

Me want!

99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

nkro

Postby nkro » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:45 am

You don´t need that airsweden.
Use a standard item and cut away the orginal sleve. And make a knew stronger.

Ok some info about the speedparts gearset.
Its a helical gearset but not the same gearing like the S&R.

You can buy them new. 25 k + vat for the gearset and 32 k + vat for a gearbox.
Now to the problems. He will not only sell the gearset. He build the gearbox.
You have to have some machine time In the primary gearhouse.
Maybe we could talk to him about the machinery and the price If we order more than 5 gearset.
Problem for FIA users Is the gearing.

Niklas

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”