Megasquirt programing

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Dsp99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Megasquirt programing

Postby Dsp99t » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:31 pm

I imagine ill be told I'm wasting my time or other derision about this but free with purchase of car is a hard price to beat. I have a megasquirt 1 v2.2 (for those who care) its a fuel only system. I'm hoping someone on here has used this system with success and perhaps has a tune on file that I might use on mine. This is going on a 99 turbo 8v engine. I'm not looking to reach rally spec power but 180 would be nice. If you have a stored tune for this application let me know it will give me a running start at this project.

Luke
Site Admin

Re: Megasquirt programing

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 am

Not aware of anyone that's done this specifically on a 99T, but I think it a cool idea! Especially if the install in done in a clean way that looks original.
I'd bet you can get a tune for a Volvo 8V turbo or something from one of the megasquirt boards and at least have a baseline to get the car running, and then tweak from there, of course assuming similiar injector choice, etc... I tend to like using the SAAB trionic injectors for projects like this, easily available used and flow plenty for reasonable power levels.
If you get it running nicely and can post your BIN file it would be a great benefit to the community!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:56 am

Can you trigger that off the existing ignition system, or tach input maybe? Depending on the trigger setup I bet there are a zillion baseline tunes you can pull off the http://www.msefi.com forum that would get it driveable as long as your injectors and temp sensors are at least in the ballpark.

My only experience with MS was a bad one because we built the board ourselves to run on a Suzuki 450 single cylinder from a sport quad and spent more time debugging the setup than tuning it. Install on a run-of-the-mill sort of 4-cylinder car should be comparatively easy.

As far as getting the GM sensors the MS setup wants, those will be cheap and plentiful at pretty much any junkyard in North America I imagine, then just adapting them into the radiator hoses or wherever in the 99 should be pretty easy too.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

nkro

Postby nkro » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:09 pm

Hallo

You can try this out.

Its not stock. But I think you could drive your car.
I used megatune 2.25 and innovative wb lambda.
4 bar fuel pressure and trionic injector.

Niklas
Attachments
Saab_99_4bar.zip
(4.62 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:27 pm

You could try to shoot PaulH a PM, I could have sworn he had his EMS running on MS...

Dsp99t

Postby Dsp99t » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Drew I can trigger off the coil negative.

Nkro thanks ill give that a try once I have all the fab work and wiring done.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”