Autocross build

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Dsp99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: G-stock or DSP build

Postby Dsp99t » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Close to a decade I would guess. I am the second owner and I am friends with the original owner. Why I bought this is it was a bunch cheaper than the 911 I was planning to get and I get to keep my DD. Of course now I am going to need lots of help to revive the old girl. Anyone in the Charlotte NC area want to help?

Dsp99t

Postby Dsp99t » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:17 am

Question on k-jet the lambda system... Is it necessary? I'm not sure if mine is functional. I have a known good ecu and meter but I don't know about the wiring in between.

I got it to fire but not for long

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am

I don't think you really need the Lamda system...I think it was an early attempt at fuel economy and emmissions. I have put the CIS fuel distributor and fuel lines in a car, jumped 12v to the fuel pump (ignition in of course) and fired the car up.
I am the 73%

Dsp99t

Postby Dsp99t » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Ok I put an n/a fuel distributor on my turbo air meter. It runs not well but it runs. Can I change the injector metering to match the turbo or am I stuck looking for a lambda CIS?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Dsp99t wrote:Ok I put an n/a fuel distributor on my turbo air meter. It runs not well but it runs. Can I change the injector metering to match the turbo or am I stuck looking for a lambda CIS?

you can...i do not remember how to tune the CIS fuel distributor. It might say in the 99 or early 900 manuals
I am the 73%

Dsp99t

Postby Dsp99t » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 pm

I have a mega squirt waiting in the wings but I'm unsure of what version (its not in my hands yet). So I'm hedging my bets on wether this will end up squirted.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:41 pm

There is a mixture adjusting screw between where the metering plate opening is and the injector distribution block, small hole, you stick a long hex key down there but it may not have enough range of adjustment to compensate if they're very different.

There is also an adjustment screw on the bottom of the warm-up regulator apparently that has more of an effect on WOT and higher RPM running (according to a 5 min internet research session)

There should be LOTS of old articles like on SaabNet or otherwise of what the hot combos used to be that would work. I've seen Volvo or Mercedes distribution blocks for 6-cylinder cars run on the Saabs with the two extra ports blocked off, I think one of DeLorean's or Jeff's cars they bought recently had that combo on it?

There are some pretty extensive websites cataloguing the flow of different blocks if you search the Bosch part numbers on the two that you have, see how far off they are from each other.

In case it helps, my green '79 EMS (with Lambda) ran very poorly until I discovered that the modulating valve on the driver's inner fender was unplugged. The modulating valve is adjusted by the O2 sensor.

Looks like once it's warmed up the modulating valve is kept at something like 50% duty cycle:

Some reading:

http://www.usefulstuff.pwp.blueyonder.c ... s/KJet.pdf

http://www.cabby-info.com/cis.htm

http://www.lukesandel.com/auto/delorean ... /bosch.htm
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Dsp99t wrote:I have a mega squirt waiting in the wings but I'm unsure of what version (its not in my hands yet). So I'm hedging my bets on wether this will end up squirted.

I forget who it was on here...Paul maybe...did an adapter so you could run the Megasquirt computer with the LH fuel injection harness. This might be the easier conversion.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:47 pm

The 99 Turbos (and maybe other 8 valve turbos?) outside the US used a special 6 cylinder fuel distributor. Two of the fuel line holes were blocked off from the factory which provided more fuel pressure to the remaining 4 lines. I've found these on early Volvo turbos in US junkyards. You may want to consider looking into one.

I've run a 99 rally car with Lambda CIS for years with no oxygen sensor.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Geoff wrote:I've run a 99 rally car with Lambda CIS for years with no oxygen sensor.

So do you just run the control pressure signal straight from the warmup regulator and get rid of the modulating valve entirely to make that work?
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Dsp99t

Postby Dsp99t » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53 pm

What I found was the lambda regulator was not injecting at all.

Both have 056 cast into the return line bulge that is the only number I could find. The air meter valves are vastly different though. The turbo one is smallish and the n/a is huge. I'll snag some photos and measure them.
Last edited by Dsp99t on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53 pm

I forget how it works, I'd have to look at the wiring diagram again (or the wiring in the car).
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Dsp99t

Postby Dsp99t » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:14 pm

here are the air valves turbo on the left.

and the fuel regulators

first the lambda

and the N/A

those were the only markings I saw on them.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:51 pm

The 900 8v's have the small diameter air metering plate where most of the 99's have the larger one. I suspect this contributes to the sluggish nature that the 900 8v revs.
I am the 73%

Dsp99t

Postby Dsp99t » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:47 pm

i was told the small one was the original and it had the lambda on it.

I also discovered the EFI relay is not powering the computer or pump so I think I probably need to locate one of those.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”