16 Valve B202 engine rebuild 2011

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: 16 Valve B202 engine rebuild 2011

Postby squaab99t » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:44 am

Put in a few more hours. Made connections to the ECU related components except for the fuel injectors. I'll prime the engine oil using the starter and don't really want it to send fuel or run so, this should do both.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:26 am

That looks like a monster! :-O

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 am

Jordan wrote:That looks like a monster! :-O

In the next day or two, I'm hoping to exclaiming " It's alive. It's Alive!"

Mezzanine

Postby Mezzanine » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:24 am

A monster indeed. I am confident to say that Dennis has one of the cleanest and best executed 900s in existence. He doesn't work for big horsepower, he works for real, useable horsepower, and all the handling work to compliment it. He's like Luke, west coast style. :king: :salute:

Mezzanine

Postby Mezzanine » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:25 am

Dennis, how come you didn't use that awesome load leveler on the engine hoist we got a few weeks back?

turbo stephan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby turbo stephan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Mezzanine wrote:I am confident to say that Dennis has one of the cleanest and best executed 900s in existence. He doesn't work for big horsepower, he works for real, useable horsepower, and all the handling work to compliment it. He's like Luke, west coast style. :king: :salute:

I totally agree with the above stated. Dennis' 900 is probably one of the fastest I've ever driven. I remember that we drove it one night after we worked on my car when Dennis still had the other turbo set-up. Holy cow, what a beast. It pulled like a freight train and I'm convinced it was as fast, if not faster, than a 9-5 Aero Hirsch Performance I drove once with my friend back in Germany.

West coast Luke... That same thought crossed my mind when reading Jordan's comment. Just thinking about it, isn't this cool? We probably have that same crazy set-up of guys working on their Saabs here than the guys back east. A bit more crazy than usual and always trying something new that was thought to be impossible. Pair this with the awesome amount of engineering experiences across the map and nothing other than this can come out of it.

The only thing to top it of, wouldn't it be cool to have a meet one day with all the guys from east and west together?
Last edited by turbo stephan on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Wow Dennis, the motor is beautiful! For some reason the direct to plug coil packs (and sweet mounting bracket!) are the final bits that push it over the top and say "THIS THING MEANS BUSINESS!"

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Luke wrote:Wow Dennis, the motor is beautiful! For some reason the direct to plug coil packs (and sweet mounting bracket!) are the final bits that push it over the top and say "THIS THING MEANS BUSINESS!"

This thing is business. I correct my comment from above because after some more thoughts about that late night drive in Dennis' Saab 900 (aka 006 :lol: ) I'm convinced that with the new set-up it can beat almost all of these modern fast (useless) cars like M3's, M5's, STI's, AMG's and all that other stuff. The crazy thing is that it is an old Saab family sedan. Just imagine how much you can upset all this uptight Porsche, Mercedes and BMW drivers... :lol:

Dennis, you better put that thing in base boost when Mel is cruising around... :lol:

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:57 am

turbo stephan wrote:
Luke wrote:Wow Dennis, the motor is beautiful! For some reason the direct to plug coil packs (and sweet mounting bracket!) are the final bits that push it over the top and say "THIS THING MEANS BUSINESS!"

This thing is business. I correct my comment from above because after some more thoughts about that late night drive in Dennis' Saab 900 (aka 006 :lol: ) I'm convinced that with the new set-up it can beat almost all of these modern fast (useless) cars like M3's, M5's, STI's, AMG's and all that other stuff. The crazy thing is that it is an old Saab family sedan. Just imagine how much you can upset all this uptight Porsche, Mercedes and BMW drivers... :lol:

Dennis, you better put that thing in base boost when Mel is cruising around... :lol:

Ah shucks guys, thanks for the props. Mel loves the boost, but for now she will be broken in on base boost. 7psi?

Well I am happy to report she is up and running and without any leaks that can't be address with some tightening and an O ring on the gear box dipstick. :yay:

I primed the engine with the fuel pump fuse out and injectors not hooked up. About (4) 15 sec cranks to prime, and then it was time to light the candle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28852287@N05/6187689147/

Time to button her up. Intercooler plumbing, and water/meth injection needs to be installed. Final body stuff and wheels and she will be back on the road.

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:45 am

Congrats, your hard work payed off. Can't wait to see the 006 on the road again.

The couple of seconds cranking reminded me of my situation last weekend with the difference that mine ran like a 1 cylinder tractor first and got continuously better. I saw that Jeff from Vancouver signed up here as well and he can testify what I'm saying.

Btw, a little bit of air left in the cooling system? "Allzeit gute Fahrt mein Freund", as we say in Germany... :thumbsup:

JeffCullen

Postby JeffCullen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:38 am

Dennis... amazing work... just massive respect on the whole setup. Congrats!

Stephan--yeah we definitely had some fun with The Bitch on Sunday! I think we did an awful lot more cranking than Dennis did, though! We though we started with your battery fully charged, we had to have the jumper cables hooked up to my running SPG just to keep it cranking (in intervals with cool downs for the starter...) long enough to get your compression to come up after the cylinder bores being washed with so much fuel since the ECU failed and locked the injectors open. A nice touch is that someone had snipped the fuel pump ground wire from the ECU and jumped it to ground at one of the ECU mounting screws so the fuel pump would run all the time whenever the system relay was closed. Obviously that ECU had problems starting a long time ago. Anyway you should be fine for a long time on the later 083 ECU lovingly made in Spain :P Especially with 158PSI across all four at 416,000km... that's awesome!

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:05 am

:yay:

:lol:

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:34 pm

JeffCullen wrote:Dennis... amazing work... just massive respect on the whole setup. Congrats!

Stephan--yeah we definitely had some fun with The Bitch on Sunday! I think we did an awful lot more cranking than Dennis did, though! We though we started with your battery fully charged, we had to have the jumper cables hooked up to my running SPG just to keep it cranking (in intervals with cool downs for the starter...) long enough to get your compression to come up after the cylinder bores being washed with so much fuel since the ECU failed and locked the injectors open. A nice touch is that someone had snipped the fuel pump ground wire from the ECU and jumped it to ground at one of the ECU mounting screws so the fuel pump would run all the time whenever the system relay was closed. Obviously that ECU had problems starting a long time ago. Anyway you should be fine for a long time on the later 083 ECU lovingly made in Spain :P Especially with 158PSI across all four at 416,000km... that's awesome!

Yes, 158 is not bad considering almost 260K miles. I'm glad I took my time though to carefully go through checking spark, injectors, ecu etc. It was worth taking the bus for a week...

Dennis did the same and took his time to get it done. I'm sure it will pay off as well.

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Hans wrote::yay:

:lol:

That's awesome... :lol: I think Kevin needs a couple of more "public pushes" to finally get a Saab as well.

Btw Hans, I heard you liked that EMS I got. Maybe time to open a new thread soon...

Stephan

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Yep, nice score on the EMS. I'd love to own one. Someday...

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”