Building a 900 for hillclimbs

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Building a 900 for hillclimbs

Postby KPAero » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:16 am

I should have been more specific. I hate seeing wire nuts anywhere accept in a household application where they belong. That is what I found when I took the dash out, probably powered an aftermarket radio at some point. It has all been removed. The entire harness is now out of the car and will be inspected and repaired where needed with proper connections.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:23 am

:thumbsup: creditability restored

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:35 pm

I worked a on this a bit this week. First I decided to ditch the original motor in favor of one out of a 92' turbo that I had collecting dust. But with over 200k I figured it deserved some love in the form of new timing chain and guides, gaskets, front and rear seals etc. Everything else looked good and healthy, so it went back together.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:49 pm

I also got a great deal on a used Sparco evo2 which I fit in very nicely. I made up some brackets to attach it to the corbeau slider I got. Hopefully my younger brother who is working on this with me will keep growing and we will be able to ditch the slider in a few years, but for now it is needed. I think it turned out pretty good though. I used some 3/16 u-shaped steel going over the slider connected to some 1/8 angle iron. (I welded this together after taking the pictures in addition to where it is bolted) I cut out the aluminum side panels that bolt to that and added holes for some height adjustment. I was a bit worried about the whole assembly being too tall, but I don't think that will be an issue. I didn't throw a helmet on sitting in the car, but I can say that I wouldn't want to sit much lower than where it is now from a driving position point of view.

One question I had, would you normally put a large washer between the mounts on the seat and the bracket to space it away from the seat slightly?

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 pm

KPAero wrote:One question I had, would you normally put a large washer between the mounts on the seat and the bracket to space it away from the seat slightly?

If the seat side rails are hitting the bottom of the seat or something like that which keeps the area around the bolts from sitting snug against the side of the seat that'd be a good idea.

You do not want the brackets to try to 'pull' the seat into shape when you tighten it down with a composite shell like that, that's when you're in danger of cracking the seat or pulling the threaded inserts out of the shell.

I don't have washers between mine, but my rails fit flush against the sides of the seat.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 pm

DrewP wrote:You do not want the brackets to try to 'pull' the seat into shape when you tighten it down with a composite shell like that, that's when you're in danger of cracking the seat or pulling the threaded inserts out of the shell.

Thats what I was afraid of. I think the issue is mainly towards the top of the bracket where the seat no longer has a flat surface. I could probably lop a bit more material off the top and avoid the issue, but would then lose the top holes. I was curious if this is a normal problem because I ordered a sparco hardware kit with my harness and it came with four large washers. Putting them on the backside of the bracket solved the issue.

I also got to use this old drill press I picked up a few weeks ago. Someone spent some time making it look all pretty, and for $150 with a little vice I was pretty happy.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 am

OMG YOUR TOOLBOX IS HUUUGE!!! (just kidding, but you did a good job framing that photo to make it look like a standing height drill press!)
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Nice drill press! Man I love vintage tools so much. Did they paint the actual top of the table though? I cant imagine that lasting for very long if they did.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Yeah, the paint on the table is already wearing off after a few uses. Ill probably end up taking it off completely. Im a sucker for vintage tools too, I think its the combination of looks and functionality that gets me.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:55 pm

I just fixed up this one up a little . I was trying to do research to find out what it was since it had no tags on it. I thought it might be a Walker Turner , but I wasn't quite sure.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Jordan wrote:I just fixed up this one up a little . I was trying to do research to find out what it was since it had no tags on it. I thought it might be a Walker Turner , but I wasn't quite sure.

Nice!

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Lots more where that came from. Jordan, if you want the compressor too its yours free and we'll try to stuff all kinds of other goodies in that nasty black car of yours. Just try not to think about what kind of favors I might ask of you someday ha ha ha..... eewww!
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:24 pm

I spent some time playing with the bender today and eventually got the main hoop made. I still need to trim the legs so the base plates can fit, but it fits in pretty good. I might actually need to bend the legs in a hair more to be able to weld all the way around as they sit right at the outside edge of the sill at the moment.

This also reminded me I need to clean the car out, its been a convenient place to put stuff for the past month.

Claude Hutchings
Number of Saabs currently owned: 60

Postby Claude Hutchings » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:25 am

Nice Job!! I've always found that bending the main hoop is always the hardest part......

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks, I actually found the lateral bars harder to measure and bend. The first one I made worked alright, but I scraped it as I made the bend at the corner of the windshield start too late so the fit wasn't as good as I wanted. After making another one they fit better and I am happy. The ends are a bit long until I notch them but the pics show basically how they will be.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”