86 900 Street / Track Project

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: 86 900 Street/Track Project

Postby DrewP » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Noooo, I do not need reason to be tempted......

Who else is building now to add though? Was it all people on this board last go around, or did you pull other pavement weenies into it?

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I would just as soon go for good used stuff too.

Im a small business owner, so funds for toys are slim to none, and if I can get useable second hand stuff I'd consider that too.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:25 pm

Used stuff seems non-existent and "bought-and-unused" seems to ask for a 50% markup *cough*Seth*cough*. :fuckyou:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:27 pm

I do have the phantom grip, I'd like $80.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Its worth it for $80. I still have mine in my N/A car. Its better than nothing. With the low torque it works a little better than in a turbo car. When I first put mine in I parked one wheel of the car on top of a piece of plywood that I had wet down and put a piece of polyethylene sheet over. I put the other wheel on pavement with a 6x6" wood block in front of the wheel. The car kicked the polyethylene sheet out, kicked the plywood out, and drove over the 6x6" wood block... I tried it with a stock car and it just spun on the plywood.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:23 pm

Geoff wrote:Its worth it for $80. I still have mine in my N/A car. Its better than nothing. With the low torque it works a little better than in a turbo car. When I first put mine in I parked one wheel of the car on top of a piece of plywood that I had wet down and put a piece of polyethylene sheet over. I put the other wheel on pavement with a 6x6" wood block in front of the wheel. The car kicked the polyethylene sheet out, kicked the plywood out, and drove over the 6x6" wood block... I tried it with a stock car and it just spun on the plywood.

In light of new developments and experimental testing : $160

jk

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Is it possible to install one without pulling the trans out of the car? If it can be done that way I could stick it in the 91 trans and still work the LSD plan for the next trans.

I know I replaced spider gears on another car without removing the diff. IIRC there was a circlip of some sort holding in the shaft, and then you rotate the assy until the shaft slides out, and remove the guts. Is the SAAB setup similar?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:35 pm

Jordan wrote:Used stuff seems non-existent and "bought-and-unused" seems to ask for a 50% markup *cough*Seth*cough*. :fuckyou:

?

unless of course you are referring to my unused Gripper. $1500 would be a good deal for it...considering shipping and production cost for 1 unit.
Last edited by Crazyswede on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Yeah, you can do it. You need to remove the spider gears, grind the faces where they contact the Phantom Grip (so they're flat), put the PG in with the spider gears, and then remove a piece of aluminum and some pins off the side if the PG which are used to hold it compressed (which then puts pressure on the spider gears). Make sure the inner drivers are inserted into the spider gears when you do this.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Yes its easy to install but still not a great upgrade. Probably why Luke's is not in a car now.

I had to skim a little meat off of the spiders to get mine in but otherwise its as easy as swaping drivers.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Probably would help a bit for the time being, and its dirt cheap. Anything has to be an improvement over what I have now. I wouldnt want to put a diff in the currently installed trans anyway. I dont expect it to last with the way it doesnt want to shift. The synchros are shit. I didnt realize how bad it was until I had it in the car and tried to drive it. Pussyfooting around town its not bad, but get to ripping gears at speed and it doesnt like to cooperate.

Besides in a 8 valve N/A car without alot of power it would probably not do too bad.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:37 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Probably would help a bit for the time being, and its dirt cheap. Anything has to be an improvement over what I have now. I wouldnt want to put a diff in the currently installed trans anyway. I dont expect it to last with the way it doesnt want to shift. The synchros are shit. I didnt realize how bad it was until I had it in the car and tried to drive it. Pussyfooting around town its not bad, but get to ripping gears at speed and it doesnt like to cooperate.

Besides in a 8 valve N/A car without alot of power it would probably not do too bad.

If its a 91 gearbox it might have the same syncro dog profile as the ones that I had jam up in Maine. Although the 91-93 boxes technically all have the same part numbers for the syncros components, there is a slight difference in the way the teeth are ground on the 92 and 93 boxes that prevents nasty burrs from forming due to missed shifts. My 3-4 hub was in really good shape so I just ground it to match the later profile. It actually may not be an exact model year thing, but a revision somewhere between 91-92.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:03 am

Luke,

I am interested in the PG you have. At that price I can't go wrong, and it will buy some time to prep another trans with a real LSD. Not sure what I want to do yet anyway. Whether or not to put the effort into this car or prep A diffed 4 spd for the Notchback project. If I wasnt such a broke ass right now Id put one in both cars.

On another note,

I sent in my registration for Jefferson Circuit track trials Sept 4-5 at Summit Point. I drove the car up to Duryea since its right in my backyard. I plan to trailer the car to Virginia. Its too far to have a tow truck haul the car home if something happened there. Not gonna change the setup at all, but I need to do valve clearances. I still have the solid rotors and original (shitty) saddle style front calipers. They want to lock when backing up, so I have to do a little look see there as well. Other than that, there really isnt much needed.

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 am

I went to Summit Point in June to do a LeMons race. Both tracks are really cool, especially the 1 with the mini Nurburgring carousel deal. I'd like to go back to run the other one too. The Adopted by Jets guys might do an enduro down there with an IT 900, hope to get a turn at the wheel.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:44 am

Its been a while since I posted on this project. The car is (for the most part) complete, and now Im just trying to enjoy the car a little. I have not really been motivated to be at the garage, but things are starting to change a little. Working on a few small side projects. I have officially parked the car from daily driver duty, and am trying to only do stuff that can be easily put back together, (no major teardowns). I like being able to just decide Friday evening that Im getting up early Saturday and going to the track. I check the oil, give the car a once over, and put some hi-test in it and go flog her.

Its currently set up for dirt. I pulled out the springs, and raised the ride height with the MSS spacers up front, and the SAS ones in the rear. I removed the front sway bar but left the rear in. I also removed the Jamex springs from the rear and put SPG units back in. It sits about 2.5 inches higher than in its pavement configuration. I swapped it around to run some off road type stuff. It should help a bit in the snow too. This dirt stuff is a blast and plan to do a few more Rally-x events. I may even want to try some frozen lakes on for size. I borrowed a set of rally tires from Luke to run at Grandview, but have since refinished a set of manhole cover wheels to put my own rally tires on. Im a bit torn, they may be too nice now to run Rally-X with them.

Some of the things in the works for her.

Phantom Grip in the 91 trans (run her till she blows)
Prep another trans to put in (LSD)
Sidedraft carbs on MSS intake
Wire the accessory gauges
Wire the Hella 500s
Finish rust repair in trunk.
Undercoat and seal the chassis
Sheet aluminum floor in trunk (carpeted)
Complete roof vent opening
Install 500 screws in ice racing tires

Attached is a pic of the Rally-X rims I just refinished, almost too nice for dirt!
Attachments
SAABOMOTIVE.jpg

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”