'71 Shell Prep updates

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: '71 Shell Prep updates

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Sweet paint, looks amazing!

Zues fasteners are sweet, you can grind down the end of a small crescent wrench to be a good zues wrench, and since most of us keep some amount of rudimentary tools in our cars all the time this would be an easy way to be able to pop off the air dam in a hurry and always have the tool in the door pocket.

Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Sam » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 pm

great color
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks all.. I certainly learned a lot about the process...

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 am

Dude, thats really a motivator! More Pics! More Pics! Wish my 71 looked that good.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:37 am

Jordan wrote:F

The flares came out really great, but I haven't picked them up yet...

Looking awesome, a color you don't see everyday. I'm really excited about those flares. I've made 8 full sets and have yet to see them installed on anybody's ride. :bawl:
Keep up the good work. These Saabs may very well be on their way to being a true collector's car if the GM sale goes in the can. :dunno:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:47 pm

squaab99t wrote:Looking awesome, a color you don't see everyday. I'm really excited about those flares. I've made 8 full sets and have yet to see them installed on anybody's ride. :bawl:
Keep up the good work. These Saabs may very well be on their way to being a true collector's car if the GM sale goes in the can. :dunno:

Yeah, the flares look awesome. I have to pick the up today and I will take some pics. One guy commented on that the glass weave looked like a high quality material.

The color is very swedish blue...it will definitely stand out especially with the chrome accents.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Ok I took the masking off.. put in the seats and put the front bumper on.

Took more pictures and put them in the gallery...

http://saabrally.com/gallery/Car-Buildi ... %27s%2071/

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:37 pm

WOW looking sweet. I'm happy to get a good comment from the guy at the body shop. They usually bitch about having to work with fiberglass parts.

From the pictures it looks cold, but I'm sure that new paint brings a grin to your face. :thumbsup:
Last edited by squaab99t on Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:44 pm

It was like 18 degrees when I picked the car up. When the garage door opened water dripped off the windows from condensation and almost instantly froze on the hood.

I did do a little surface-prep work on the flares , but for the most part they had a great finish and did not have need much more than a quick sand and sealer over the filler. I can't wait to install them. I'm trying to decide whether I should use welting or not. I'm probably going to wait until its a little warmer and the paint is cured a bit more to reduce risk of cracking the paint.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:02 pm

Jordan wrote:It was like 18 degrees when I picked the car up. When the garage door opened water dripped off the windows from condensation and almost instantly froze on the hood.

I did do a little surface-prep work on the flares , but for the most part they had a great finish and did not have need much more than a quick sand and sealer over the filler. I can't wait to install them. I'm trying to decide whether I should use welting or not. I'm probably going to wait until its a little warmer and the paint is cured a bit more to reduce risk of cracking the paint.

Dedication...
Great to hear on the low prep effort. That was our plan in lieu of Gel-coat we used a high fill primer as to act as the top coat/prep surface.
Ross is planning on using a welt from a VW, Riv-nuts, and allen button head fasteners.
I too would hold off on install. They kinda stick out and your garage space seems a bit narrow. Any chance you could PM me the .jpgs so I can add them to my fab portfolio?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:53 pm

I got some 3/8" zinc-coated rivets for the bling factor, but not sure how they will look. I am probably going to move the car to another one of the bays that has more room, but I have to move some vehicles around first! I was trying to keep the hole size I have to make in the fenders as small as possible. I will PM you the higher-res shots.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:52 pm

Looks %$#@ing awesome!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Ok I fixed the gallery a bit. Had quite a few duplicates and its now in somewhat of an order.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Looks real nice!
I showed Kelly the pictures and she thought it was a real looking car. Then she asked what you were going to do with it. "Autocross!? Why would he want to autocross and rallycross such a nice car!?" I think you'd better keep your distance from her :lol:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:33 pm

Tell her the dirt washes off :lol: As long as I don't come into contact with any trees I should be ok...Or pull a Snakes

Funny though....the only thing nice about the car right now is that it has some fresh paint on it!

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”