'71 Shell Prep updates

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: '71 Shell Prep updates

Postby Geoff » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:07 pm

I agree on the SAAB cutout (or S&R). As soon as you said swoosh all I could think of was the cutout. :thumbsup:

The early EMS stripe might be kind of neat too. The one that goes straight down the side of the car (I think Per did it in yellow on his rally car?)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:04 pm

After block sanding I uncovered the 40 years of dings and dents.... So more filler and another round of high build and epoxy (on the bare metal) before i start doing the finish sanding... I'm probably going over board, this being a "race" card and all. :crazy:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:20 am

not for a vintage race car! :-)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:21 am

are you doing plexi windows in that thing? If so do you still have the front and rear window rubbers and inserts?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:35 am

Vultures! Shoooo! :lol:

Maybe in the future, but for right now it's getting glass. If I do go the lexan route, I'll let you know. I actually may have an extra rear window though.. no gasket. Make an offer and I could maybe give it to Luke to transport home after Black River Stages.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:30 am

I have a gasket for the rear as well, none for the front though.

The thing with body work is its never truly done, you just have to reach a point where you are content. Don't go too crazy, the car looks pretty straight already!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:04 am

Yeah, the sad part is I don't plan on even keeping a metal hood that long anyway :rolleyes: . But yeah most of the car is pretty straight, its mostly fixing the stuff that was fixed before. Of course I took on another house "project" that I'm working on at the same time so things are taking a little while longer. Leanne isn't keen on helping out and block sanding either :bawl:

She asked me the other day when I was showing her what I was doing and she is like "So you actually like doing this?" No, it sucks. The end result I hope will be worth it though.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Ok so almost done with paint prep, I put the front suspension on so I could roll the chassis around on regular wheels and get it to the paint shop. I have to spot sand some places that needed a little more filler and I;m going to spray a final coat of epoxy as a sealer when I;m done. So I was going to go urethane for durability...

So a final decision... base coat + clear coat or single stage?

Clear would allow me to sand out the stripe if it didn't work out or needed repair plus it is easier to maintain. It is also the most expensive I'm sure. Single stage would look more "period" and is probably cheaper.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:02 am

Those gaskets for the early cars used a different snap in insert than the later cars iirc. If at all possible Id like to find the early configuration. The door and side window trim is different between the early 99s and later ones.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Jordan wrote:Ok so almost done with paint prep, I put the front suspension on so I could roll the chassis around on regular wheels and get it to the paint shop. I have to spot sand some places that needed a little more filler and I;m going to spray a final coat of epoxy as a sealer when I;m done. So I was going to go urethane for durability...

So a final decision... base coat + clear coat or single stage?

Clear would allow me to sand out the stripe if it didn't work out or needed repair plus it is easier to maintain. It is also the most expensive I'm sure. Single stage would look more "period" and is probably cheaper.

I think I'd go base clear, you spent a lot of time on this thing might as well make it shine, if you are going for a period look go for enamel hehe:)

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Those gaskets for the early cars used a different snap in insert than the later cars iirc. If at all possible Id like to find the early configuration. The door and side window trim is different between the early 99s and later ones.

The later ones were wider. The one i have is early style. I only have the gasket though. I think it will be near impossible to find a chrome strip in good shape, but I bet if you look around you will be able to find a generic replacement that will work. Those chrome locking strips were used on just about everything up until the mid 80's. Just let me know if you want the gasket, we still need to meet up sometime on a weekend!

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:26 pm

You might be able to get a chrome lock-strip from Restoration Specialties. I was recently looking for a source for the later black stuff for c900s and someone, somewhere on a Saab forum/listserv thread I found via Google mentioned this place...

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Maybe also look at '70s BMW parts sites...

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Luke, Ill take the gasket, its a start. What do you have going on this weekend? Maybe I can take a ride down to visit you in the Tan 900. Im hoping to get paid for a job before the weekend, and If so I can throw you a few bucks to get started paying my tab with you.

I saved the metal corner pieces from the car, so I just need the chrome plastic strips. Ill bet any good glass shop can set me up with new strip.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Do you want the glass? I'd bring it to Luke on rally weekend if you do.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:28 am

I do not need the glass, when I tore this car down over 10 years ago, the local Saab mechanic could still get new gaskets, so the old ones went in the trash. I found good front and rear glass at a junkyard in York Pa. about 6 years ago. I kinda regret not taking the gaskets at that time.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”