Anyone remember this car?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
79-99
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Anyone remember this car?

Postby 79-99 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:13 pm

http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery/of89/OF89_10

It actually still looks this good

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:00 pm

I talked to Sandy in th fall. He said he drove that car from Maine to Oregon, racing at all points in between. I would love to do the same but why stop there......... head up to AK then take it to Mongolia and let the transcontinental rally action continue. I always wanted to do the East African Safari Rally.

According to him it was one of Ola Stromberg's cars that got left in the US after some wild Nordic types came over to mix things up with the SCCA. He said that he had the crashbox rebuilt back in the day to the tune of $5k, sent it Sweden for the factory treatment. I tried, but he wont part with it, says he's gonna get her back out there one of these days. I turns out that he and Tim O'neil are old pals. Tim also mentioned something about building up another 99, apparently that was his first rallycar. We shall see.

79-99

Postby 79-99 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:22 am

How's he doing? Is he still in Kennebunk? I used to see his car in his shop , then I noticed it was gone so I stopped in and talked to the mechanic and got his phone #(which I've misplaced) . I thought maybe he was getting back into rally. The mechanic there said something about Sandy taking it up to Oneil's,but that was last year.

When I taught at Kennebunk HS I used to take my 900 to his place for service. I really enjoyed talking to him.In fact two of his nephews were on the HS bicycle racing team that I started.
Ed

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:14 am

Tim has a photo of his 99 rally car in "The Log Cabin". Apparently Tim did some work on my car when it was first being built.

Ed, did you go to the O'neil rally last weekend? Maybe the car is up at Tim's place? I'll have to ask around at the rallyx this weekend.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:45 am

Geoff wrote: Apparently Tim did some work on my car when it was first being built.

Oh so thats whats wrong with it............. explains alot. :D

I was in Dalton just before the rally last weekend, no sign of the 99 anywhere or Tim for that matter. I think Sandy said it was at his house now, in the basement garage....... somewhere downeast.

79-99

Postby 79-99 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:35 am

No, Sandy's car is not at Oneil's, I think he has it at his home . I read an article somewhere on Tim Oneil where Tim credits Sandy with teaching him how to drive.

I did go up the rally. Low turnout but fun none the less. Met Ted Goddard, who convinced me to volunteer at the NEFR . The guys from LDR won the event. Nice guys on that team. Their crew chief used to work with me. Man Chris Duplesis sure can drive!! Speaking of Chris, are you going to the rally X at their farm in Bethel,Me ? The first one was cancelled due to lack of snow , the second is Feb 2nd, and the third in March . It is put on by SCCNH

I really need a 99... know anything about the 1970 with the H turbo motor on saabnet?

Ed

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:48 am

I talked to a good friend of Sandys at STPR last year... He said that Sandy was out sailing around the world somewhere and that he still had two 99 rally cars at his house... that white one and an older brown one too.

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco

Postby Rallyho » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:15 am

Ed, didn't know you were at the event. I was in a blue sube wagon working the Miller/Union spectator area.

My brother and bought a 99 turbo rally car (called Ole Yellar) from a guy named Paul Detwiler. My brother serviced for him and Sandy back in the day. I've only seen Sandy's car once, but it was buit light...lots of factoy goodies, no heater in fact...instead it had an oil cooler where the heater-core should be and a fan...needless to say it was a little chilly in the winter.

anyway, Ed, I'm down in Camden and am building a 900...wanna come help sometime? :)
Rallyho

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:27 am

Rallyho wrote: I've only seen Sandy's car once, but it was buit light...lots of factoy goodies, no heater in fact...instead it had an oil cooler where the heater-core should be and a fan...needless to say it was a little chilly in the winter.

The guy I was talking to (can't remember his name) said that the car was originally built as a super light hill climb car for Ole (with aluminum roll cage and all) and then later converted for rally. One of you Mainiacs should track it down and go take some photos.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:20 pm

[quoteOne of you Mainiacs should track it down and go take some photos.[/quote]

Its funny, I was already planning on it in about 10 days, even before this topic came up. I had asked Sandy If I could come take a look at It when I was in the neighborhood. I'll be over that way soon and with just enough free time............ what a coincidence.

monte 283

Postby monte 283 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:29 pm

I saw the car in action once (my first ever pro rally) at the sunriser 400 in Ohio, 1989. I managed to peek into the service barge and the car for a quick minute before they had to get to the start and do a lap around the park in town.

I think they DNF'ed but it was a long time ago; the only thing that really stand out are: following a friend of ours and getting totally lost in the mountains before crossing a creek on a bridge made of two I-beams laying on their sides and the final stage where Rod Millen and John Buffun came by with thier brake rotors glowing red hot.

Oh, and the drunk locals getting into a huge brawl about the Quattro's having all wheel drive instead of four wheel drive like jeeps and pickups.
Mike

"Keep twixt the trees"

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:56 pm

I won't be able to make the event on Feb. 2nd, but maybe the one on March 2nd...

That car in South Hadley looks fun. Though I don't know that the earlier suspension/brakes would be that good for anything other than cruising around town. I'm going to be down in that area this weekend.....

edit: So it turns out I've seen that car before. My friend Jon just sent me this:
That car used to be owned by a guy who lived in Haverhill, literally 5 minutes down the road from my parents. I went and looked at it once, his wife got pissed when I corrected him and told him it was a '71, not a '70 as the ad says.

So the car is a '70. He drove me by it once and I saw it. We both agreed it was a pretty cool car.

79-99

Postby 79-99 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 pm

Rallyho: I was one of the guys with the lawn chairs and the 93SS, I believe I parked right behind you at Union/Miller rd area. Sure I'd love to help with your car...short on skill, but I make up for it with enthusiasm and muscle. Do you know Duncan Matlak? He lives in Camden and is the LDR crew chief, really nice guy. Will you be at Bethel either Feb or March?

Ed

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:08 am

I love watching Duncan rallyX his 122 :-)
My parents both drove 122 wagons when I was little.

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco

Postby Rallyho » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:00 am

Ed, cool. I gotta say that Duplissis was the most impressive at that corner...mega commitment in a car running on 2 1/2 cylinders that might not all be there for ya to help keep you off the banks...the guy has stones.

I work right down the hall from Dave Getchel...we heckle each other daily. Anyway, I gave Duncan a ride home. He lives here in Camden too.

I'm gonna be at the garage alllll day tomorrow, so come on over! Plenty to do.
Rallyho

Return to “Random Thoughts”